In September 2016, interested Member states/Associated countries, stakeholders and the European Commission held the kick-off meeting of the SET Plan temporary working group (TWG) on continuing efforts to make industry less energy intensive and more competitive.
The Implementation plan was then endorsed by the SET Plan Steering Group members at the meeting held on 14 November 2017.
The Implementation plan is currently under revision and will be updated in the course of 2021.
To realise the priorities of the Implementation Plan, the structure of the group evolved into an Implementation Working Group (IWG6), consisting of Country Representatives, industry representatives and European Commission Services. The IWG6 consists of the following thematic groups (TGs): Iron & Steel, Chemicals, Heat and Cold technologies, system integration, Cement (created in 2020) and Pulp & Paper (created in 2020). The mission of the IWG6 is to support the identification and implementation of projects, to review the Implementation Plan, in addressing any new priorities identified and in supporting the collection of recommendations on EU R&I and regulatory frameworks.
Updates from the Working Group:
The IWG6 is engaged in different activities:
- Development of project ideas, to be financed through either national or EU support;
- Revision, update and monitoring of the SET Plan Action 6 Implementation Plan;
- Monitor the progress of on-going R&I projects at National and European level;
- Identification of areas of interest for specific R&I activities within the scope of the SET Action 6;
- Identification of potential funding sources for R&I activities and projects at national and EU level;
- Bringing together stakeholders and Member States through meetings and networking events to discuss and exchange experiences on common non-technical barriers towards project implementation, funding and to develop ideas on possible recommendations to overcome such obstacles